The physicians, nurses and staff at our hospitals are committed to ensuring good, professional services every day.
What does the ombudsman service deal with?What does the ombudsman service deal with?
Unfortunately, there are times when things do not go to plan. We recommend that you discussthis first of all with the physician/nurse/staff member concerned. It may be that, with a small effort on their part, they can meet your expectations, respond to your comment or resolve a misunderstanding.
Can't find a solution together? Do you prefer to report your concerns in person and in confidence? Or are you not sure who to direct your concerns to? In that case, contact the ombudsman.
You can also contact the ombudsman's office:
- When you think you are involved in an incident;
- With an information question about how the hospital works or about the guidelines or procedures to be followed, and when you do not know which care providers or internal departments of the hospital to turn to;
- To give a compliment or improvement suggestion, so they can maintain what is good and constantly strive to improve.
The ombudsperson listens, informs and advises patients and their families
How do we help?How do we help?
The ombudsman service helps patients and their families who have a question, or who experience a problem with the services provided by the hospital or one of its staff. The ombudsperson listens to you and works with you to find the best possible solution for your issue. The ombudsperson is neutral and impartial and has a purely mediating role.
The ombudsman service has access to all data required to carry out its instruction, but is bound by professional secrecy of course. All information communicated to the ombudsman service will be treated as strictly confidential and will not be disclosed to third parties, except with the consent of the party concerned.
Only available in Dutch:
Contact the ombudspersonContact the ombudsperson
A personal meeting is possible, book an appointment:
The ombudsperson service is available on weekdays:
- from 9am to 12 noon
- from 2 to 5pm
Except on Fridays.
You will find the ombudsperson service on the second floor of the west wing (through gate A, toward the delivery area) of Maria Middelares General Hospital in Ghent.
Annual report with recommendationsAnnual report with recommendations
Each year, the hospital's ombudsman service produces an (anonymised) report. What does it contain?
- Number of complaints
- Themes of complaints
- Reconciliation results achieved
- Recommendations to avoid recurrence of complaints
To whom does the ombudsman service deliver the annual report?
- With a view to continuous quality improvement, the ombudsman service provides the annual report to the hospital's management, chief medical officer, medical board and board of directors.
- The Flemish Ombudsman also receives a copy. The latter then includes it in the annual report of the Flemish ombudsman service and reports annually (early March) on activities and recommendations to the Flemish Parliament.