Maria Middelares General Hospital provides high-quality, safe care. However, we always want to learn more and improve, wherever possible. That is why we constantly ask our patients about their experiences and measure our results. We also have our quality examined externally by the government and external organisations. Thanks to this approach, we have obtained a number of quality labels.
97% of patients recommend Maria Middelares General Hospital to family and friends
After admission, you will receive a questionnaire about your stay in the hospital. Please indicate if you are satisfied with the hospital. What could be improved?
In 2016, patients gave Maria Middelares General Hospital a score of 8.5 out of 10. And 97% of patients recommend the hospital to family and friends.
Flemish Indicators Project (VIP²)
The Flemish Indicators Project brings physicians, professional organisations and scientists in different groups together to work on the quality of care. Together they determine the standard for each topic and what healthcare providers should measure. We call these indicators. Maria Middelares General Hospital actively participates in this project.
What do we measure?
- Breast cancer: diagnosis, treatment and survival rate after five years
- Rectal cancer: what are the chances of survival in Maria Middelares General Hospital?
- Patient experiences: survey of patients and analysis of the hospital website
- Hospital-wide: medication safety, basic hand hygiene requirements for healthcare providers, correct identification of patients, a standardised checklist for safe operations
The Flemish government supervises the quality delivered by hospitals. To this end, they perform unannounced checks on various care journeys that patients undertake.
Maria Middelares General Hospital also wants to compare its quality with foreign hospitals. The hospital chose to be tested by the American Joint Commission International (JCI). This organisation focuses on the patient and evaluates in a practice-oriented way. Patient experiences also count in the evaluation.
In 2016, Maria Middelares General Hospital received its first international JCI quality label.
ISO 27001 Certificate for Information Security
In July 2020, Maria Middelares General Hospital obtained the ISO 27001 Certificate for Information Security.
ISO 15189 for laboratory (clinical biology department)
The laboratory of Maria Middelares General Hospital received the ISO-15189 certificate from the Belgian accreditation body Belac.
That means that the lab:
- has the technical competence to generate the correct lab results;
- provides high-quality care to the patients;
- has an elaborate and functional quality system.