Conditions and diseases
House dust-mite allergy
Symptoms and causes
What is it?
The mite is a very small spider that likes dark, warm and humid places. The house dust mite keeps itself alive with human dander. Some people are allergic to mite excrement.
Diagnosis and treatment
Measures mainly apply to the bedroom:
- ventilate the room sufficiently
- Use a synthetic duvet and spread it open regularly.
- Use cotton sheets (no flannel).
- Wash the sheets weekly at 60°C.
- vacuum your mattress once in a while replace it, if it is more than ten years old
- Do not lay carpets on the floor.
- place books and clothes in the closets
- Limit the number of stuffies to two. Wash them or place them in the freezer.
Treatment centres and specialisations
Latest publication date: 16/04/2021
Supervising author: Dr Marin Eline, Dr Van Autryve Els, Dr Lamont Jan