Tests and treatments
Treatment with TENS unit
What is it?
After consultation with the pain doctors at the Maria Middelares General Hospital, we have opted to start providing TENS therapy. TENS (transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation) is a non-invasive method to alleviate (chronic) pain without the use of medication.
The device can alleviate the pain because it applies electrical impulses through the skin (transcutaneous) that can excite (stimulate) the nerves.
Direct TENS® can be used to alleviate different types of acute and chronic pains, for instance:
- joint pain (e.g. knee or hip arthrosis)
- chronic pain originating in the spinal column
- degenerative disorders of the muscles, tendons and bones
- tension headaches
- muscular pain
- radiating pain
- amputation pain/phantom pain
See the leaflet below for more information about:
- how the TENS device works
- how to use the device in practice
- the device’s different programmes
Latest publication date: 11/08/2021