Symptoms and causes

What is it?

Hyposensibilisation is a long-term treatment (three years) for allergic nose and/or eye complaints which cannot be controlled despite the proper anti-allergen treatment.

This treatment involves the administration (by injection) at regular intervals of an extract of the allergen causing the symptoms. The objective is to reduce one’s sensitivity to said allergen.

Diagnosis and treatment


The treatment is started in the Paediatric Allergy Centre so that any complications and side effects can be recognised and treated in time. Treatment is always started by administering a minimum dose that is then gradually increased.

If there are no problems at this stage, the treatment can be continued at the GP surgery. Follow-up in the Paediatric Allergy Centre is planned for three-month intervals.

Centres and specialist areas

Ear, nose, and throat diseases

Latest publication date: 05/02/2021
Supervising author: Dr Vermeiren Judith, Dr Degraeuwe Jelle