Tests and treatments
What is it?
Cytology is the testing of bodily fluids. Cell material is tested using technical methods.
- Cervical smears:
- important for cancer screening
- with Thin-Prep cytology (ThinPrep)
- reported in accordance with the Bethesda classification
- Urine, bronchial aspirate, pleural fluid, ascites fluid, lumbar fluid
- Fine needle aspiration cytology (FNAC) (thyroid, soft tissue lesions)
Centres and specialist areasCentres and specialist areas
Latest publication date: 29/08/2023
Supervising author: Dr. Coppens Mieke