Conditions and diseases
Symptoms and causesSymptoms and causes
What is it?
Toxoplasmosis is an infectious disease caused by the parasite Toxoplasma gondii. You can get infected by eating infected raw meat and raw vegetables or by cat faeces.
Usually, this infection is innocent. During pregnancy, however, the infection can be transmitted to the foetus with potentially serious consequences. Once you have had the infection, you remain immune for life. If you are not immune, you need to take several measures.
How can you avoid it?How can you avoid it?
- Do not eat rare or undercooked meat.
- Rinse raw fruit and vegetables thoroughly.
- Do not eat dishes that contain raw eggs, such as fresh mayonnaise or chocolate mousse.
- Have someone else clean the litter box.
- Ensure good hand hygiene.
- Wear gloves while working in the garden.
Treatment centres and specialisationsTreatment centres and specialisations
Latest publication date: 14/12/2022