Conditions and diseases
Symptoms and causes
What is it?
Fibroids, also known as myomas, are benign tumours that develop in the uterus.
The main symptoms associated with fibroids are:
- severe menstrual bleeding
- a feeling of pressure and/or pain in the lower abdomen
- urinary problems due to external pressure on the bladder from the fibroids
Diagnosis and treatment
- Endovascular treatment (along the blood vessels)
- Fibroids can also be treated surgically via what is called a myomectomy (i.e. localised removal of the fibroid) or an hysterectomy (i.e. a complete removal of the uterus).
For additional information about these treatments, please contact your gynaecologist.
Treatment centres and specialisations
Latest publication date: 21/01/2021
Supervising author: Dr Van Den Broecke Dirk