Conditions and diseases
Symptoms and causesSymptoms and causes
What is it?
Fibroids, also known as myomas, are benign tumours that develop in the uterus.
The main symptoms associated with fibroids are:
- severe menstrual bleeding
- a feeling of pressure and/or pain in the lower abdomen
- urinary problems due to external pressure on the bladder from the fibroids
Diagnosis and treatmentDiagnosis and treatment
- Endovascular treatment (along the blood vessels)
- Fibroids can also be treated surgically via what is called a myomectomy (i.e. localised removal of the fibroid) or an hysterectomy (i.e. a complete removal of the uterus).
For additional information about these treatments, please contact your gynaecologist.
Treatment centres and specialisationsTreatment centres and specialisations
Latest publication date: 21/01/2021
Supervising author: Dr Van Den Broecke Dirk