Our Paediatric Cardiology specialists can provide you with a cardiological diagnosis if there is a suspicion that your newborn or child has a congenital heart defect.
Possible complaints or indicators
- Heart murmur
- Pain in the chest area
- Attacks of fast or slow pulse
- Fatigue and exertion problems
- Blue discoloration of the skin
- Diabetes in the mother of the baby
How we work
- We give cardiological advice to both the parents of a child and to fellow paediatricians.
- If we suspect that a child has a congenital heart defect, we provide a rapid diagnosis by clinical cardiological examination, ECG and echocardiography. This way we can give feedback very quickly not only to the parents but also to the gynaecologists. We do this specifically for children, from birth to puberty. From the age of 16, we refer young people with a congenital heart defect to our Cardiology Department for further follow-up.
- We offer a new technical examination to general practitioners and paediatricians in the region.
- In cooperation with Prof. D. De Wolf (pediatric cardiology department of UZ Gent) we provide regular consultation and constant training.