Conditions and diseases
House dust-mite allergy
Symptoms and causesSymptoms and causes
What is it?
The mite is a very small spider that likes dark, warm and humid places and that feeds off of people's sloughed-off skin. Some people are allergic to mite excrement.
Diagnosis and treatmentDiagnosis and treatment
The following measures can help with dust mites:
- ventilate the room sufficiently
- Use a synthetic duvet and spread it open regularly.
- Use cotton sheets (no flannel).
- Wash the sheets weekly at 60°C.
- Vacuum your mattress once in a while, and replace it if it is more than ten years old.
- Do not lay carpets on the floor.
- Place books and clothes in the closets.
- Limit the number of stuffed animals to two. Wash them or place them in the freezer.
Treatment centres and specialisationsTreatment centres and specialisations
Latest publication date: 17/01/2022
Supervising author: Dr Vermeiren Judith, Dr Van Autryve Els, Dr Lamont Jan