Conditions and diseases
Diabetes type 2
Type 2 diabetes is the most common form of diabetes (comprises 85% of all diabetes patients) and occurs mainly - but not exclusively - in old age.
Symptoms and causesSymptoms and causes
What is it?
In type 2 diabetes, the insulin-producing cells (islets of Langerhans) are present to a sufficient extent, but the body does not react sufficiently to the insulin.
Two factors play an important role here:
- A defect in the cell resulting in insufficient or delayed insulin secretion.
- Insulin resistance: insufficient sensitivity to insulin
Typical symptoms of type 2 diabetes:
- drinking excessive fluids
- frequent urination
- weight loss
It is also possible that there are few or no symptoms and that the disease is discovered accidentally due to complications reminiscent of diabetes.
Diagnosis and treatmentDiagnosis and treatment
After the diagnosis, your physician will choose the best treatment together with you and the other physicians on the team:
- Treatment of type 2 diabetes consists primarily of lifestyle adjustments, such as weight control, diet and getting adequate exercise.
- Blood sugar lowering peroral diabetes medication
- Injectable diabetes medication
Only available in Dutch:
Treatment centres and specialisationsTreatment centres and specialisations
Latest publication date: 05/12/2023
Supervising author: Dr. Boer Mirra